Saturday, June 04, 2005

I Like Winning

Especially like this. Not that shutting out the Astros is any considerable feat this year (knocking on wood furiously). But, oh, Carpenter. Oh, goodness. That's some mighty fine pitching.

I got a phone call midway through the game. After making my apologies for inattention and expletives, I missed a few innings. This call was from a dear friend that I drag along to games sometimes. She very much misses saying "Rent-aaaaa-riaaaaaa." Now, there is no love lost between me and TSSWMNBN, due to his assertion that the BoSox have "tradition" (what are the Cards, an expansion team?) and talk of respect (read: dollars), but I can identify with the love for names. As a young 'un, my sister and I would vote for the All-Star Game (back when ballots were of the paper variety, not manipulated by multiple email addresses [vote Eckstein!]) based on funniest names for the AL players. In fact, this is still my strategy. Vote for Cardinals and funny names. What, you were concerned about the lack of stats on this site? Calculus I can handle; the formula for VORP, not so much.

Anyway...the game. The roof was closed, and it was hot. You could see the sweat dripping off the starters. Particularly gross was Carp's hat. But no matter how sopping wet, he pitched a gem. King, eh, still concerned about him. Tavarez, lovely. It doesn't hurt that the Astros' entire outfield are people I have never heard of. Some very nifty double plays, Sanders working on his goal of 30-30, and bad, bad baserunning from the Astros. Did they hire the Cubs' former 3rd base coach?

|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?