Thursday, September 28, 2006

Good God

Does anyone here know the Heimlich?

I've never left a game early (well, once when I was about to get heat stroke) until tonight. Jesus, way to go, Jason. You just pitched us out of a compensatory pick. And the post season, probably.

At the game on Tuesday, my mom commented that the team looked like they just didn't care. She's right. They're tired. They're beat up. They're ready to be done. They aren't very good, and they know it. We know it. That's why I think this collapse isn't on par with others; I expected this team to kinda suck. Blame money if it makes you feel better. Blame La Russa if you want to get in with the 2003 in crowd. Hell, if you want to take out an ad (misspelled, of course) in the Riverfront Times, have at it. But if you're shocked by this turn of events, you have unrealistic expectations.

I think, as the season dwindles, the question becomes: What can the Cardinals do next year? It's a question I don't have an answer for yet. Throwing money at the problem won't really solve it. You have to spend wisely. And I, for one, trust Jocketty to do that. So, is a change in the clubhouse needed? Well, if the team is going to go cheap, La Russa will leave. They aren't going to cut payroll, and he hasn't shown the aversion to inexperienced players so many have accused him of. There will be a lot of turn over next year. And that's fine, it's necessary. I don't think we're looking at an Ozzie- or Tino-type clubhouse division, but weeding out some less than happy players is always a good thing.

Yeah, I don't know. It sucks, but isn't unexpected. If a crappy year is what it takes to get rid of the bandwagoners who treat going to Busch as a social event rather than a baseball game, I'm all for it. I guess that's my real motivation: I don't want to be surrounded by sorority girls when I'm trying to watch a baseball game.

|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?