Sunday, September 04, 2005

Sink and Swim

On the KMOX post-game, Marquis said that the bullpen session he threw in Pittsburgh (the 40 sinkers, and obviously I'm paraphrasing) got his head on straight. The results have certainly been there his last two starts. In 18 innings: 7 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 8 Ks. I have to admit I kept expecting a meltdown. Not necessarily a big one, but a lapse in concentration that led to another that led to another. It never came. There wasn't even a hint of one; after Berkman's home run, Marquis gave up only a single in the 7th. I'm in no way convinced he's completely fixed. He'll make me nervous all season. However, I no longer dread his next start. Marquis also made some nice plays, though he went 0-2 at the plate. I'm sure it won't happen, but how funny would it be if he won a Silver Slugger and a Gold Glove?

Nunez continues to make me...well, not forget about Rolen, but not miss him too terribly. So made a fine sliding catch, but Grudz's leap over him was extra cool. Pujols' foot is not keeping him from stealing bases. The Astros must really hate seeing Jimmy. He just kills them.

Outstanding starting pitching this series. I heard La Russa's explanation for bringing in Izzy on Friday this morning on Talk With Tony. I understood his reasoning, that Mulder wasn't doing well against the batters due up, and playing what-would-have-happened-if is academic. But. It would have been really cool to have three complete games against the Astros.

|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?