Saturday, June 18, 2005

The Soundtrack of our Lives

I'd like to talk about Friday's game (a kinda close win), but instead, I feel that this is about all I can talk about, which happened three years ago Saturday. Everyone has their own best memory. Whether it's the call of The Wizard's home run (which is melded with the video for eternity), a routine pop-fly, or the description of a well-turned double play, Jack taught us baseball. He taught us how to play, how it can humble us, and how this little boys game can elevate anyone to a hero. Who didn't hear his voice when they were at the plate in little league? In listening to those calls and remembrances, one of the things I learn is that I am the prototypical Cardinals fan. On one side, my family comes from the south at a time when the Birds were the southern most team. On the other, I am, at the very least, a fourth generation Cardinals fan (and quite possibly a sixth generation). Baseball is the sound of my summer. And Jack Buck is the voice I heard growing up.

You can remember the first time you heard Jack Buck's call. You can remember where you were - car, backyard, under the sheets after bedtime. I was at my grandparents' house. It was hot outside, the doors were open and the game was on TV, but KMOX was playing over the radio. They were wearing the awful double-knit they'll be wearing this afternoon. I'd like to believe they Cardinals won, but I don't remember the results. I just remember The Voice.

I miss Jack Buck - if only he could have seen last year. I get chills listening to his old calls and imagining what he would have said when Rolen went yard last October. I'd like to think he was happier than anyone listening.

|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?