Monday, May 23, 2005

Tales of the Minor Leagues

The Memphis Redbirds were in town for a four game series against the Padres' AAA team this weekend. Saturday's game was rained out, so I enjoyed the double header yesterday. Perhaps a little too much, as my notes from the end of the second game are incomprehensible.

For the first game, I sat in PGE Park's Beer Garden which has a nice view of the plate from the right field line. Also, it's very close to where the Redbirds were doing their stretching, which was...nice. Chris Gissell started the first game. I didn't see him get above 88 mph, so he wasn't blowing it by anybody, but he held the Beavers to two runs. It was not a good day for Cardinals shortstops. John Nelson air-mailed a couple of throws to first. Memphis couldn't get it going after the rain delay before the 6th inning-they gave up a three-run lead. Raul Gonzalez and Chris Duncan both had 2 run home runs. Redbirds 5, Beavers 6.

For the second game, I moved to a few rows behind homeplate since Adam Wainwright was pitching. He's very very tall. And has a nice pick-off move. He gave up two home runs, but they were solo shots. It's a good thing Kerry Robinson sucks, or the score would have been worse. I'm going to blame my heckling of Kerry on the fine, northwestern brewed products. I do think he heard me ask after he struck out if he would sign my copy of Three Nights In August. Wainwright left with score tied (2 run home run by Internet Hero John Gall), but Cali couldn't keep inherited runners from scoring. Redbirds 2, Beavers 4.

Some things that won't be in the boxscore: Duncan is a big guy; Gonzalez, who is not, draws pictures with his bat when he comes to the plate (I'm sure it's a cross or something); the Memphis manager waved at me when I asked who was pitching the second game, I guess he didn't hear the question. I went to the stadium Saturday before the game was called and saw lots of Cardinals officially licensed merchandise. Less on Sunday, but I met several Cardinals fans-most of which are not from the Midwest and had never been to Busch. All were very nice, and one even remembered the line up from 1967, despite being from Washington.

I also saw one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen. A little boy, maybe nine or 10, wearing a Pujols shirt and a RED SOX HAT. I just kind of stared at him with my mouth open and emitted a guttural "Eecchhh." I should have notified Child Services.

|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?