Friday, May 27, 2005

Honestly...

...did anyone think we were going to lose a game with Morris on the mound and the Kile family in attendance? Matty was on a mission, and Jimmy Edmonds (he of the "DK 57" wrist tattoo) was on board. I'm pissed at FSMW for going to commercial rather than showing Kile's kids tearing down the number. I can't even imagine the ovation they received. But it was so fantastic to see Kannon (with his own specially made uniform) in the dugout during the whole game - he even made Duncan smile. Last year, even though he was hurting, Matty gutted it out, with no excuses, because that's what Kile would have done.

I remember exactly where and when I heard the news. I was pulling into a parking spot at Target, it was 2 pm here in Portland, to buy sample size shampoos for my vacation to St. Louis. I was listening to NPR and there was a clip of the announcement to Wrigley Field. Then the news reader said, "The reason [the game was cancelled] was St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Darryl Kile was found dead in his hotel room." I didn't hear any of the rest of the report - I immediately called my parents in St. Louis and asked "What happened to Kile?" It would be a while before we knew. I'm sure the patrons of Target thought I was crazy, pacing the shampoo aisle on the verge of tears, nearly screaming, "What are they saying about Kile?" Little did they know it was because for the second time in less than a week my heart was broken.

I had a boy over a few months after and was setting up the VCR to tape something when I came across Jack Buck's memorial service on the tape. There was a close up of Kile during the service and I almost lost it. The boy didn't understand. He was gone soon after this incident.

Yes, the Cardinals won tonight.

Matty and Jimmy would not allow anything else.

|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?