Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Ol' Blue Eyes

I really need to win the lottery. I mean, missing this game because I had to actually work at work is very annoying. I couldn't even get one minute to listen to it. Please write to Power Ball and let them know. There's just something unfulfilling about watching on TiVo. Though, I can skip the Dirt Cheap ads. That's a plus.

So. Recently, we've seen Carp shut out the icky Cubs and Mulder make the Astros look ridiculous for ten innings. Today Carp tied a career-high for strikeouts with twelve.

But the day belongs to Grudzielanek. The Cycle! My goodness, that is exciting. Mark, when I finally get around to doing the Player Watchability Factor for you, you will do quite well.

Being a naturally very superstitious person (as well as following LaRussa's "Prepare for the worst, hope for the best" philosophy) I am worried we are using the "magic moments" too early. It is still only April. Two fantastic pitching performances, a guy hitting for the cycle, all in a week? What's next? I do have a few ideas of what could be next, but will not mention them.

The flip side of this is the stupid number of pen guys on the shelf: Izzy, Pulsipher, Eldred, Lincoln (not to mention position players with various lingering hurts). Everyone remembers 2003, luckily Tavarez and King are better than Yan and Fassero. If Izzy is really only out for 2-3 weeks, as everyone seems to be saying, I think things will be fine. Ray and Julian know what needs to be done and can actually do it (baring any phones talking back to Tavarez). When asked about the bullpen being short this morning, Tony took offense, saying something along the lines of, "Short? We're not short. Well, Carmen's not very tall, but we're not short." Glass half-full guy, that Tony.

|
<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?